A business whether it is big or small needs a citation audit, but local and multi-location businesses and brands need it even more. If potential customers need to discover them online and offline businesses like these would rely on correct name, address, and phone number data. Consumers used to hunt for a local business by picking up the phone book, relying on word-of-mouth, and walking or driving around. The fact that search engines exist made local citations aid in the internet discovery of local companies in a certain geographic area.
Local citation also aid in the optimization of SEO and visibility in local search results, particularly for mobile devices. It is even better if the citation includes a link to the company’s website.
Directories, data aggregators, social media, review sites, and map listings such as Google My Business and Bing Places all have inline citations.You cannot consider yourself clean if you did not shower frequently. The citations are treated in the same way. You need to ensure that a company’s data is always true, it must be properly maintained, in other words, it must be kept clean, not just in the major listings, but also in every directory and data aggregator where the company is listed online. A piece of incorrect information on a citation not only reflects the poor performance of the company but also causes potential customers to lose faith.
Consumers would quit using a local business if they discovered inaccurate information in internet directories, according to the majority of respondents. You need to imagine how many potential customers a local business could be missed out on observing such poor outcomes. You should be aware that clean citations are essential for a successful firm.A firm may do several things to keep ahead of the competition, and it all starts with an audit. The businesses must ensure that they collect all available citations and identify the discrepancies. They must come back to them personally and provide the correct information. Now, I would mention the procedure to access local citations that would prove to be beneficial to you.
- You need to look for any citations that a specific company may have online. Then, make a list of all possible variations in your name, address, and phone number but do not fix the data right immediately that could be addressed later on.
- If you need to locate business citations, make use of the free resources. I would advise the local one, for example, if they provide a free online visibility report that is straightforward, thorough, and accurate.
- Always use Google Advanced Search Operators to find faulty data and information. Make use of all of the data you gathered in the first stage. Simply search for citations with incorrect business names. If you do not want to see results with the company name, search with the phone number and a minus sign, then the company name in quote marks.
- Using the information acquired, determine which citations need to be clarified. Starting with big websites, local directories, and industry-specific directories is a good place to start.
- Clean up the data in the company by manually updating it. Start with the government and work your way down to the phone company and other utilities. The data aggregators can be listed as follows, Google My Business and Bing Local are some good places for you to start.
- Use a standard application to look up contact information for any stray citations that need to be looked into further. All correspondence should be sent to the company’s email address.
The Citation Cleanup is very essential for every business as it helps to detect and analyse existing listings, update proper information and remove duplicates and irrelevant information to draw attention.
So now you know one way by which you can increase your online visibility.